Undergraduate Program Application

For all Associate of Arts and Bachelor of Arts degree programs.

Undergraduate Program Prerequisites

  • High school diploma or a passing grade from the General Education Development (GED) test
  • Grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 on high school work
  • Applicants who are not native English language speakers must demonstrate English proficiency

Optional: We encourage you to sit for the ACT (American College Testing Assessment Test) or the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) as this may strengthen your application.

Students who fall short of the GPA requirements should see the Prerequisite Exceptions below.

Application Steps

  1. Fill Out the online Undergraduate Application form.
  2. Request to have your official high school transcript (or GED score) and ACT/SAT scores (optional) sent directly to Shiloh University. If you are seeking transfer credit, have your official college transcripts also sent directly to Shiloh University. We recommend that you contact your school at least one month before the application deadline.

    Admissions, Shiloh University
    416 D Avenue
    P.O. Box 846
    Kalona, IA

    Homeschool high school students must submit transcripts that meet Shiloh University’s homeschool transcript guidelines.

    Students whose previous education did not take place in the United States will need to work with the WES (World Education Services) to have their educational experience valuated. For information on the evaluation process refer to the World Education Services website.
  3. Write a personal essay (300-500 words) that includes all of the following:
    • Your name, mailing address, and email address
    • A description of your Christian experience
    • Your reasons for wanting to study at Shiloh University
    • How you plan to accomplish your program of study (each 3-unit course generally requires 6 to 10 hours per week)
    • How your degree will help you in your life and if applicable, in your ministry
  4. Submit the following items in the online application portal (available after starting an application):
    • Your personal essay
    • A copy of your government issued identification card (front and back)
  5. You will receive the Admissions Committee decision and your next steps within two weeks after the admissions deadline.

For visual / hearing accessibility assistance in applying, please email the admissions office or call (319) 594-7446.

Processing and Notification

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required information is submitted to the Admissions office. Applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants in writing as soon as possible after the decision has been made, but typically no later than two weeks after the admission deadline. Upon notification of acceptance, applicants must return a signed enrollment agreement to the admissions office.

Transferring Credits into AA Programs

Up to 75% (45 units) of the Associate of Arts program may be satisfied through transfer credit from an accredited college or approved test-out credit source. However, no more than 15 of these units may be satisfied through test-out credit. Refer to the University test-out credit policy for a complete list of accepted tests and required scores.

The minimum grade point average (GPA) for transfer courses is 2.0.

Transferring Credits into BA Programs

The following forms of transfer credit may be transferable in University BA programs. The minimum grade point average (GPA) for academic coursework is 2.0. In no case will more than 75% (90 units) of a Bachelor of Arts program be satisfied through transfer credit:

  • Up to 52 units of transfer credit may be applied to General Education and elective credit requirements.
  • Up to 30 units of transfer credit may be applied to core course requirements.
  • Up to 30 units may be satisfied through test-out credit. Refer to the University test-out credit policy for a complete list of accepted tests and required scores.
  • Up to 2 CPE credits may be applied to elective credit requirements. Each accepted CPE credit will count as 3 units of elective credit.
  • See Transferring Credits for more information.

English Language Requirement

Prospective Undergraduate students who are not native English language speakers are required to demonstrate proficiency through one of the following methods:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum required scores:
    • 61 on internet based test (iTOEFL)
    • 500 on paper based test (pTOEFL)
  • At least a 6.0 on International English Language Test Score (IELTS).
  • At least a 44 on Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report.
  • A high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school where the medium of instruction is English.
  • At least a Level 3 on the ACT COMPASS’s English as a Second Language Placement Test.
  • At least a Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam
  • A minimum B-2 English proficiency level from the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) as assessed through various ESOL examinations.
  • Submission of a transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit at an English-speaking accredited college or university. Undergraduate student must have maintained a ‘C’ grade point average or higher. All non-U.S. transcripts may need to be reviewed by the World Education Services before they can be accepted.

Homeschool Transcript Guidelines

Homeschool high school transcripts must include the following elements:

  • Courses organized by grade level with grades assigned according to a 4.0 GPA scale
  • Units earned for each course (credits or Carnegie units)
  • A transcript key including GPA grading scale, course units used, and explanation of any non-traditional transcript information
  • Graduation date (actual or anticipated if applying before completion)
  • A separate list of non-academic accomplishments and activities
  • Statement of affirmation that the student has completed secondary education according to state standards or similar statement
  • Signature of parent, guardian, or administrator

For templates or additional assistance, see HSLDA transcript information on the Home School Legal Defense Association website.

Prerequisite Exceptions

The following exceptions may be awarded at the discretion of the University.

If a student has not met the admissions GPA prerequisites but possesses other life experience or attributes which show a strong indication of success in an undergraduate program, admission is a possibility. If accepted, the student will be placed on admissions probation for the first 15 units and must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average in all classes during the probationary period.

Self-Certification of International Secondary Education

Persons applying to a Shiloh University undergraduate program who completed secondary education abroad may self-certify their completion of secondary education under certain circumstances via a Secondary Education Certification form. Secondary education refers to high school or its equivalent in the applicant’s country: the required phase of education typically completed between the ages of 16 and 18, prior to beginning College/University higher education.

This provision is made to reduce the barriers to entry for international applicants in alignment with the University’s mission to provide accessibility to quality education worldwide. If the University has reason, at any point, to believe that the self-certification information provided by an international applicant is false or that the named institution does not provide appropriate secondary education, it reserves the right to require more information from the applicant. If the legitimacy of the applicant’s self-certification is questioned, and the applicant does not provide adequate proof of secondary education, this may be grounds for academic discipline or dismissal from the University.

Please note that self-certification is not available to undergraduate applicants who completed secondary education in the United States nor is it available to undergraduate certificate or graduate applicants. They must refer to the University’s standard admission requirements.