Undergraduate Non-Degree Status Application

Earn credit for undergraduate courses as a non-degree student.

Undergraduate Non-degree Status Prerequisites

  • High school students applying for dual enrollment must be in their junior or senior year in high school.
  • Other non-degree applicants must have graduated from high school with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or earned a passing grade from the General Education Development (GED) test.
  • Applicants who are not native English language speakers must demonstrate English proficiency.

Application Steps

  1. Fill Out the online Undergraduate Application form.
  2. Request to have your official high school transcript, GED score, or official undergraduate college transcript sent directly to Shiloh University. We recommend that you contact your school at least one month before the admission deadline.

    Admissions, Shiloh University
    416 D Avenue
    P.O. Box 846
    Kalona, IA

    Dual enrollment high school students must have their high school transcript submitted with all work completed. To take courses for dual credit, transcripts must be accompanied by written permission from a guidance counselor, registrar, or similar education administrator.

    Homeschool high school students must submit transcripts that meet Shiloh University’s homeschool transcript guidelines.

    Students whose previous education did not take place in the United States will need to work with the WES (World Education Services) to have their educational experience evaluated. For information on the evaluation process refer to the World Education Services website.
  3. Write a personal essay (300-500 words) that includes all of the following:
    • Your name, mailing address, and email address
    • A description of your Christian experience
    • Your reasons for wanting to study at Shiloh University
    • Why you are applying for Non-degree status rather than a degree program and what your educational goals are
  4. Submit the following items in the online application portal (available after starting an application):
    • Your personal essay
    • A copy of your government issued identification card (front and back)
  5. You will receive the Admissions Committee decision and your next steps within two weeks after the admissions deadline.

For visual / hearing accessibility assistance in applying, please email the admissions office or call (319) 594-7446.

Processing and Notification

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required information is submitted to the Admissions office. Applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants in writing as soon as possible after the decision has been made, but typically no later than two weeks after the admission deadline. Upon notification of acceptance, applicants must return a signed enrollment agreement to the admissions office.

Transfer Credits

Credits earned may later be applied to a program at Shiloh University or other colleges or Universities. The acceptance or transfer of Shiloh University academic credit at other institutions cannot be guaranteed. Transfer of credit earned is determined by the receiving institution.

English Language Requirement

Prospective Undergraduate students who are not native English language speakers are required to demonstrate proficiency through one of the following methods:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum required scores:
    • 61 on internet based (iTOEFL)
    • 500 on paper based (pTOEFL)
    • 543 on TOEFL ITP (option for certificate and non-degree students only)
  • At least a 6.0 on International English Language Test Score (IELTS).
  • At least a 44 on Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report.
  • A high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school where the medium of instruction is English.
  • At least a Level 3 on the ACT COMPASS’s English as a Second Language Placement Test.
  • At least a Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam
  • A minimum B-2 English proficiency level from the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) as assessed through various ESOL examinations.
  • Submission of a transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit at an English-speaking accredited college or university. Undergraduate student must have maintained a ‘C’ grade point average or higher. All non-U.S. transcripts may need to be reviewed by the World Education Services before they can be accepted.

Homeschool Transcript Guidelines

Homeschool high school transcripts must include the following elements:

  • Courses organized by grade level with grades assigned according to a 4.0 GPA scale
  • Units earned for each course (credits or Carnegie units)
  • A transcript key including GPA grading scale, course units used, and explanation of any non-traditional transcript information
  • Graduation date (actual or anticipated if applying before completion)
  • A separate list of non-academic accomplishments and activities
  • Statement of affirmation that the student has completed secondary education according to state standards or similar statement
  • Signature of parent, guardian, or administrator

For templates or additional assistance, see HSLDA transcript information on the Home School Legal Defense Association website.