Graduate Certificate Application

For graduate certificate programs.

Graduate Certificate Prerequisites

  • At least a bachelor’s degree or educational equivalent from an accredited school
  • Grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 on undergraduate work
  • Applicants who are not native English language speakers must demonstrate English proficiency

Application Steps

  1. Fill out the online Graduate Application form.
  2. Request to have your official undergraduate college transcripts sent directly to Shiloh University. Submission of transcripts for any completed graduate work is also encouraged. We recommend that you contact your school at least one month before the admission deadline.

    Admissions, Shiloh University
    416 D Avenue
    P.O. Box 846
    Kalona, IA 52247-0846

    Students whose previous education did not take place in the United States will need to work with the WES (World Education Services) to have their educational experience evaluated. For information on the evaluation process refer to the World Education Services website.
  3. Write a personal essay (300-500 words) that includes all of the following:
    • Your name, mailing address, and email address
    • A description of your Christian experience
    • Your reasons for wanting to study at Shiloh University
    • Which certificate you are applying for
    • What you hope to gain, both in knowledge and potential qualification for ministry, employment, ordination, etc.
  4. Submit the following items in the online application portal (available after starting an application):
    • Your personal essay
    • A copy of your government issued identification card (front and back)
  5. You will receive the Admissions Committee decision and your next steps within two weeks after the admissions deadline.

For visual / hearing accessibility assistance in applying, please email the admissions office or call 319-594-7446.

Processing and Notification

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required information is submitted to the Admissions office. Applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Review Committee. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants in writing as soon as possible after the decision has been made, but typically no later than two weeks after the admission deadline. Upon notification of acceptance, applicants must return a signed enrollment agreement to the admissions office.

Transfer Credit Information

Up to 6 units from another institution will be considered for transfer into all graduate certificates with the exception of the Biblical Language certificate. No transfer credit will be accepted against Biblical Language certificate requirements.

Courses taken as part of a certificate program are credit-bearing courses and therefore may be transferable, as determined by the receiving institution. Up to 18 units can be transferred from Shiloh University certificate programs to a University degree program. Courses applied are subject to University transfer credit policies.

English Language Requirement

Prospective Graduate students who are not native English language speakers are required to demonstrate proficiency through one of the following methods:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum required scores:
    • 71 on internet-based test (iTOEFL)
    • 530 on paper-based test (pTOEFL)
    • 543 on TOEFL ITP – option for certificate and non-degree students only
  • At least a 6.5 on International English Language Test Score (IELTS).
  • At least a 50 on Pearson Test of English Academic Score Report.
  • A high school diploma completed at an accredited/recognized high school where the medium of instruction is English.
  • At least a Level 3 on the ACT COMPASS’s English as a Second Language Placement Test.
  • At least a Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam
  • A minimum B-2 English proficiency level from the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) as assessed through various ESOL examinations.
  • Submission of a transcript indicating completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit at an English-speaking accredited college or university. Graduate student must have maintained a ‘B’ grade point average or higher. All non-U.S. transcripts may need to be reviewed by the World Education Services before they can be accepted.